African Environments has been running the highest quality Kilimanjaro climbs available since the early 1980s. Director and founder Wesley Krause pioneered our popular 7 night Shira Plateau Route which starts in the Montane forest on the western side of the mountain and includes the Western Breach approach to the summit. On this route we experience an unparalleled high summit success rate of 98%. By taking a slower route you gain better acclimatization as well as enjoying better views on the less-travelled wilderness trail. We also offer climbs up the more traditional routes like the Machame Route.
Kilimanjaro is a strenuous undertaking but it is not only the province of super athletes, virtually all our clients are normal people with a reasonable level of fitness. One thing they all have is plenty of determination! Neither age nor physical disability need be a deterrent if you have the right amount of comfort, experience and support guiding you on your adventure. African Environments have successfully guided people from the ages of 15 to 80, as well as people with severe disabilities to the top of Africa for three decades.
We have designed our itineraries to meet your budget, experience, fitness level and time requirements. African Environments is as passionate about providing quality and safe expeditions as we are about our dedication to the principals of Leave No Trace and being an ethically minded employer.
- African Environments was the first company to equip all our Kilimanjaro climbs with Gamow hyperbaric bags and oxygen as safety precautions for altitude sickness.
- African Environments was the first to train and promote our Tanzanian Head Guides to receive the same recognition and remuneration as Western guides.
- African Environments was the first to partner with Kilimanjaro Parks to lead “clean-up” expeditions on the mountain showing our commitment to being eco-friendly long before the buzz word even existed.
- African Environments was the first to offer nutritionist designed menus incorporating Western-style dishes made from fresh local produce.
- With so many important ‘firsts’ it is undeniable that African Environments has pioneered the Kilimanjaro industry that has been in part responsible for improving the professionalism and success of the industry.
- To choose African Environments is to choose ‘the best’ possible experience on Kilimanjaro.
“I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for arranging the most recent trip to Kilimanjaro. It was an indescribable, life-affirming experience that I will always cherish. In particular, I wanted to commend your selection of Bonaventure and Innocent as trip leaders. Their skill, thoughtfulness, and dedication made the entire trip seem effortless even though the challenge was great. Sincerely, James”