A unique forest hideaway in Arusha National Park
Location: Arusha National Park
African Environments Itikoni Camp is a semi-permanent tented camp set in the lush forest of Arusha National Park. Situated 12 kms from the park gate, nestled beneath the crater of Mt Meru at an altitude of almost 6,800 feet, this camp offers an opportunity to acclimatize pre-expedition for those climbing ether Kilimanjaro or Meru. This camp has experienced a huge make over with the addition of the same luxury size tents we use for Mysigio and Pembezoni camp. A fantastic base for walks in Arusha National Park.
Up to 12 large luxury double or twin tents set among amazing lush rain forest.
Walking opportunities to the near-by waterfalls, an ancient healing place for the local Meru tribes people.
The ideal launching spot to tackle Tanzania’s second tallest peak, Mt Meru.
A short walk from Itikoni is Sundowner Hill where spectacular views of Kilimanjaro as well as Meru can be enjoyed with a cold beer or glass of wine in-hand.
Itikoni Camp lounge tent is complete with wood-burning stove, a small library section with books and games, comfortable couches and great view, as well as a large airy mess, again with wood-burning stove. Phone and battery charging is available through a solar powered inverter.
- Day walking from camp to the waterfalls. This activity can be tailored to any group and fitness level. There are many lovely walks within and in close to proximity to the camp.
- Game Drives in Arusha National Park and around the Momella Lakes. The park has a healthy population of colobus monkey, red duiker, buffalo, zebra and giraffe, and flamingos abound on the Lakes.
- Canoeing is available on the Momella Lakes and can be arranged prior to your visit.
- Climbing Tanzania’s second tallest peak, Mt Meru.
- Acclimatization Camp for Kilimanjaro expeditions.